Thursday 21 November 2013

Just get on the bus, will ya!!

When I was at school one of the things that a teacher told me that actually stuck was... "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line". So, when I found out we had to leave one vessel at Basel on the Rhine and move to another vessel at Lyon on the Rhone, and we had to do it by Coach, I looked up Google Maps and found out they agree. There's two major routes that go between these places - one takes almost three hours and the other takes a bit over four hours. But, as it turns out, the best way to go takes something over ten hours...


Now, so far on this River Cruise, we'd been on four or five bus tours and there's one thing that I know for sure... I'm not a fan. Denise likes 'em. Get her on a bus and you can almost guarantee she'll be asleep within five minutes. But, I gotta say, if you're gonna be stuck on a bus for ten hours, this is a really nice way to do it.

The first place we stopped was Gruyeres. Yep... World famous for cheese. But is should be world famous for the views as well...

This is what the view was like from the bus on the way...


Yep! That's snow alright!

And this is what it's like from the rest stop on the side of the highway in Gruyeres...


So, after a walk around, a cup of tea and a pitstop, it was on to Vevey on Lake Geneva for lunch. My old mate Charlie Chaplin used to live here and he's quite a celebrity with the locals, so we had a bit of a catchup...


and then took in the view over the lake while we had our lunch...


So, despite my misgivings and wingeing when we set out (sorry Darling!), it turned out to be a really great trip. A few hours after leaving Vevey we arrived in Lyon to start our next little adventure, but I'll tell you more about that later.

In the meantime, here's a few more photos of Switzerland.


See ya, Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment